N. American EEHV Advisory Group
EEHVINFO.ORG IS HERE TO PROVIDE PEER-REVIEWED, ACCURATE INFORMATION THAT REFLECTS CURRENT THINKING ON THE RESEARCH AND MANAGEMENT OF EEHV IN BOTH WILD AND CAPTIVE ELEPHANTS GLOBALLY.
It can only work with the input from active EEHV researchers and clinicians, including but not limited to members of the EEHV Advisory Group. We are grateful to all the busy scientists and veterinarians who have contributed their expertise to the site, and plan to continue to update the content regularly as new discoveries are made.
www.eehvinfo.org is your website and we are willing to consider any relevant submissions that you feel are worthwhile. Any submissions will be peer reviewed by designated experts in the applicable field. Contact Erin Latimer for questions or to submit ideas for content.
The mission of the EEHV Advisory Group is to decrease elephant morbidity and mortality due to EEHV while supporting elephant-holding institution programming by:
- Disseminating knowledge of current best practices for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of EEHV;
- Providing private and public elephant-holding facilities with technical assistance; and
- Facilitating research by building international collaborations.
The EEHV Advisory Group has set these goals:
- Recommend husbandry and veterinary management protocols as they pertain to EEHV
- Develop priorities for diagnostic and research goals between the NEHL Consortium and other research labs
- Coordinate research sample requests
- Provide media assistance
- Assist in the identification of necropsy teams as needed
- Coordinate EEHV fund-raising
- Assist with proposal submissions for EEHV research projects
- Proactively provide elephant-holding institutions and the general public with current EEHV information
- Continuously update information on EEHV Advisory Group website
- Manage EEHV listserves—one for advisors and one for advisors plus elephant community (elephant managers/keepers, vets, researchers, etc)
To become a member of the eehvinfo.org website and receive the password that allows access to restricted portions of the website, please email
Advisory Group Members
Dennis Schmitt, Ringling Bros. Center for Elephant Conservation
Christine Molter, Houston Zoo
Carlos Sanchez, Oregon Zoo
Priya Bapodra, Columbus Zoo & Aquarium
Noha Abou-Madi, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Luis Padilla, St Louis Zoo
Charlie Gray, African Lion Safari
Mike McClure, Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
Nick Newby, Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden
Ronda Saiers, ABQ BioPark
Ramiro Isaza, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
Sharon Deem, St Louis Zoo
Chuck Richardson, PharmorosConsulting,LLC
Jaime Landolfi, University of Illinois Zoological Pathology Program
Kali Holder, Smithsonian’s National Zoo
Jill Allread, Public Communications, Inc.
Jackie Wallace, Houston Zoo
Avery Elander, Fort Worth Zoo
Willem Schaftenaar, Rotterdam Zoo
Arun Zachariah, Kerala Forest Service
Sonja Luz, Wildlife Reserves Singapore
Michele Miller, Stellenbosch University
Contact information for the EEHV Adv Group members can be found HERE. Please note: Page is restricted access by Members Password.
The Steering Committee will assist in guiding the direction of this mission.
Gary Hayward, Johns Hopkins University
Daryl Hoffman, Houston Zoo
Lauren Howard, San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Erin Latimer, Smithsonian’s National Zoo
Paul Ling, Baylor College of Medicine
Deborah Olson, International Elephant Foundation
Current EEHV AG Committee Assignments
Chair: Jeff Proudfoot
Chair: Priya Bapodra
Chair: Noha Abou-Madi
Chair: Mike Mclure
Request for EEHV Advisory Group Research Support
Instructions for interested researchers to gain EEHV Advisory Group support can be found HERE. A letter can be given providing support for the project from the EEHV Advisory Group. This letter of support may signify that the project is feasible, scientifically sound, and aligns with the EEH Advisory Group research priorities. It does not guarantee funding or that samples will be provided.
European EEHV Working Group
Willem Schaftenaar, DVM, [email protected]
Imke Lueders DVM PhD, [email protected]
Fieke Molenaar, DVM, MSc. [email protected]
North American EEHV Advisory Group
Asian EEHV Working Group
African EEHV Working Group
Thailand EEHV Task Force